Friday, May 30, 2014

Snake Farm

Last weekend we took a day trip to New Braunfels. Along the way, we stopped in San Marcos for lunch at the Root Cellar Cafe. We shared an order of chips and salsa to start with.


I ordered the Veggie Deluxe sandwich with a side of fruit. The sandwich contained grilled red onion, tomato, avocado, lettuce, and provolone.  I wouldn't rave about this place but the meal was adequate for a lunch on the road.


Our destination? Animal World & Snake Farm Zoo! If the name seems awkward, this place started out as an old-timey roadside attraction/reptile house, and is in the process of branching out into a tiny but legit zoo.


Austin's own zoo is actually an animal sanctuary, so I'm always slightly wary of other zoos that aren't. But the animals here seemed well taken care of. I noticed that they all had a buddy to hang out with.



I amused myself by referring to the capybaras as Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. Olivia enjoyed watching them nibble on their plant-based lunch.


Have you heard of Reeve's muntjac? Me, neither. Apparently they are a breed of miniature deer. They are the cutest little guys ever.


White tiger cub, aw. (There were, par for the course, two tiger cubs hanging out together, but I didn't get a pic of the other one cause he was sleeping.)


The petting zoo was great. At the Austin zoo, you can feed the animals in the "petting zoo" area and pet them through the fence. But at Snake Farm, you can get up close and personal with the animals, like this super chill llama.


Olivia, the goat whisperer.


She seriously is.


"Love meeeee, Olivia! Love meeeee!"


We also saw piglets!


So tiny and amazing (these were fenced off, you couldn't pet them, and mama pig was right there with them.)


A great way to spend our Saturday! Finally, I'll share with you the Mother's Day present Tony got me. It was shipped to Puerto Rico before arriving here in Texas, haha! But it eventually made it. It's a box of raw cacao truffles from Coracao Confections.


Aren't they gorgeous little jewels? I think I'm becoming a chocolate snob, haha! So this was just what I wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment