Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Changing It Up

Most of my readers know that I am a stay-at-home mom. I have been since Olivia was born, and I most likely will be until my kids have started elementary school. That day seems far off, but I know it will be here before I know it. So I've been giving some consideration to what my life will look like when that time comes.

I used to work in libraries. I chose that career path almost by accident. I worked at the university library part-time while I was in school. It was an easy, stress-free job and I worked with my friends. I liked to read, I liked being around books. I enjoyed helping people find the information that they were looking for. Once I graduated, I couldn't immediately find a job with my art history bachelor's degree, so I continued working at the library as a full-time staff member. Eventually, I ended up going to library school, which I honestly didn't like much. The theoretical areas of library science did not interest me. I just wanted to do my job well. But I earned my degree and continued with my profession, working as an archivist at a newspaper for several years until baby O came along.



I may well end up working in libraries again some day, but as I become more and more interested in cooking and nutrition, I'm exporing other options. I've been looking into various dietitian and nutritionist certification programs, and the course titles sound fascinating. I've been adding nutrition textbooks to my Amazon wishlist to read for fun. I feel much more passionately about these subjects than I do about libraries, to be honest.

With two young children, I'm not sure if I have it in me to become a full-time student once again. I have some time to think about it. In the meantime, I want to get a little more focused with this blog. I still plan on documenting my activities with Jackson and Olivia and the meals I make for us. But I'll also be creating and sharing more original recipes and discussing meal planning and nutrition.

What's your dream career? Are you in it?










No comments:

Post a Comment