Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Recent Eats

This morning, Jackson informed Olivia that they were going to explore Antarctica, to look for polar bears. They dressed themselves accordingly.


Here are a few recent dinners that kept my explorers' tummies full and warm.

Tomato Garlic Soup, found on Pinterest. The more garlic, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Tasty, but I would omit the oil next time. I don't like to see oil floating on the surface of my soup broth.


Broccoli Quiche from Vegan Brunch. The cherry tomatoes make it very Martha. Plus, they taste delicious when they roast in the oven.


Tastes even better the next day at room temperature.


One day I cooked dried chickpeas in my slow cooker, rather than using canned. They tasted fine, but I didn't care for the skins, which came off, and bore an unappealing resemblance to little pieces of skin. Do you guys have any tips for this situation? I ended up rinsing the chickpeas handful by handful to get the skins off, but maybe there's an easier way.


I made some of the chickpeas into hummus, which I ate with roasted butternut squash. I tossed the squash in olive oil and chocolate-infused balsamic vinegar before roasting, for a little extra sweetness. I also took a chance and left the skin on. (I'm so daring! Ha!) I knew you could leave the skin on, yet I always dutifully peeled my squash, fearing a tough, chewy skin. Actually, skin-on is fantastic! It wasn't tough, and it had a concentrated "squashy" flavor.


Finally, Via 313 Detroit-style pizza. I tried their vegan pizza for the first time. They use Follow Your Heart cheese, not Daiya, which makes me happy. However, the cheese distribution was sparse, as you can see below. My pizza was, like, half unadorned crust. When you order a pizza with real cheese, it goes all the way to the edges, so I'm not sure what was happening. At least the crust is really awesome. 


A successful expedition, at least sartorially speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment