Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cookbook Challenge: Vegan Diner (Part 2)

I already posted a few of my PPK Cookbook Challenge choices from Julie Hasson's Vegan Diner. We've moved on to Chloe's Kitchen this week, but here a couple more dinners I made from Vegan Diner.

The Smoky Potato Scramble was more substantial than my usual tofu scramble thanks to the addition of red-skinned potatoes. And I'm giving five stars to any recipe that incorporates smoked paprika.


The Rockin' Reuben was a hit with Tony and me. We'd tried other vegan reubens, but this is our favorite, mostly due to the awesome Pastrami-Style Seitan Roast. Fennel and caraway give the seitan a unique flavor. I froze it overnight, then thawed it, which allowed me to cut very, very thin slices. I sauteed the slices so they would be crispy on the edges before adding them to the sandwich along with sauerkraut and Julie's Very Secret Sauce. 


Jackson and Olivia had no interest in these sandwiches because the sauerkraut smelled funny to them. I wouldn't touch it as a child, either. However, they were wolfing down slices of the pastrami roast all by itself.    That was fine since the seitan recipe makes a lot. We now have a Tupperware container of leftover, thinly-sliced seitan in the fridge, to be used for lunches all week.


Goofballs.




2 comments:

  1. It's funny, but both of my girls will eat sauerkraut...but not cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. saurkraut has never appealed to me, but i intend to try it before I hit 60 next year!!!!!!

    What is a Reuben's?????

    ReplyDelete