Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cookbook Challenge: Chloe's Kitchen (Part 2)

The splash pads are open for the season, and my two water babies couldn't wait to don their swimsuits and get wet!



After they had their fill of the water, we changed clothes and went for a walk.


We stopped to play on a sand volleyball court.


I loved the shape of this tree. Photo opportunity!


I already showed you a couple of recipes I made from Chef Chloe's website as part of the PPK Cookbook Challenge. Here are the rest.

Hawaiian Sloppy Joes. Canned lentils are substituted for ground beef in these vegan joes. The sweet sauce is made even sweeter by the addition of fresh chopped pineapple.


They were a hit!


Pad Thai Noodles. I appreciated the speed and simplicity of this version of pad thai, but I felt it was missing something flavor-wise. Jackson and Olivia asked for seconds, however, so the mild flavor might be a plus when cooking for young palates.


Vegan Mac 'N' Cheese. I'm so weird, guys. I had a terrible experience with vegan mac n' cheese awhile back, bad enough to make me swear it off for a year or so. So I was nervous about trying this recipe, but something about it made me think it might be good. Well, I made it, and the kids liked it fine, but I didn't even want to eat it! I was afraid! Finally, two days later, I warmed up a bowl for lunch. And what do you know, it was pretty freakin' tasty. Thank you, Chloe, for helping me overcome my vegan mac phobia.


I don't own Chloe's cookbook, but now I'm tempted to buy it for its accessible and kid-friendly recipes. Up next in the challenge: Cookin' Crunk by Bianca Phillips.


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh the kiddies are getting so big! How cute! Great looking recipes, I need to take a look at this book. Oooh can't wait to see what you make from Bianca's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing the cookbook challenges! I'm like you with the mac and cheese - when I have a bad experience I get scared off, and I've had a bunch lately! This inspires me to cook again.

    ReplyDelete