Monday, February 21, 2011

Guatita (Potato Peanut Stew)

So, I recently discovered that I love soy curls in tacos, but what else could I use them in? I was leafing through Viva Vegan and came across a recipe for guatita, a creamy potato-peanut stew that is popular in Ecuador and Chile. Since I'm trying to cut down on my prep and cleanup time in the kitchen, this one-pot meal sounded appealing. When I saw that one if the ingredients was soy curls, I was sold. 


I served it over rice, garnished with hot sauce, cilantro, and pickled red onions, which I had left over from my Valentine's feast.  We all loved it. Jackson liked the soy curls most of all. The stew is hearty but not heavy, with complex flavor. Even if you're not a peanut butter fanatic like me, I would still recommend it. The peanut butter blends seamlessly with the other flavors; it's not the first thing you notice.

How was your weekend? We did a little early spring cleaning and got rid of a bunch of stuff we don't need on Craigslist. We had beautiful weather here on Friday, sunny and in the 60's. I took the babies out for a long walk in their double stroller. It felt so good to get outside! Of course today we're expecting six inches of snow, but it is only February so I'll take the occasional nice day.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm!!!! That looks like my kinda stew. I only pull out the Soy Curls for very special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not entirely sure how I missed that recipe in Viva Vegan, since peanut butter in stew is ultimate goodness, but now I must make it!

    I'm trying to keep perspective about it only being February...but it's like a big tease with spring so close, yet so, so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooooooooooooooo

    This looks PERFECT for our cold east coast days!

    Thanks for the warming photo!!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete