Saturday, December 4, 2010

Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

It's been a busy week with the kiddos -- Olivia is figuring out how to crawl, and Jackson is progressing with his potty training.  So now I have two mobile toddlers to look after, but way fewer poopy diapers to change. That's a trade-off I'm happy to make! I'll have some food pics tomorrow, maybe. (After talk of poopy diapers, did you really want food pics today?)

For today...the cold temps outside are making me nostalgic for summer.  One of the highlights of this past summer was our trip to Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Luckily we live only 1 1/2 hours away, and it was a great opportunity for Jackson to meet all kinds of different animals. As one of the owners showed us around the farm, he patiently told us the background stories of the turkeys, cows, goats, and other sweet animals who are fortunate enough to be rescued and come live at WFAS. 

I was amazed that our guide seemed to know the personality of every animal, down to each individual chicken!  But I suppose it's no different than me understanding my dog's personality after living with him for awhile.  As their website states, "Woodstock Animal Farm Sanctuary is driven by the simple philosophy that kindness and respect to animals is our moral duty and that all the creatures that share this earth are here with us and not for us. Farm animals are feeling individuals who deserve to be treated with compassion."  Absolutely!













5 comments:

  1. This is on my short list of places I want to visit! Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a wonderful place. The Turkey looks very proud - very peacock-like. And i can just see what appears to be a smile from little piggy's face. It must be a from all that belly rubbing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also on my To Visit List. It looks like such a wonderful, heart-opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely photos! Mr Turkey is so handsome. I hope to visit a farm sanctuary one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos, I love farm sanctuaries...there is one here called Hillside Animal Sanctuary but you can't go in with them like that.

    ReplyDelete