Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lentils and Tarragon to the Rescue

Last night, after Tony got home from work, we planned to go out to dinner to celebrate my birthday.  Sadly, my first choice restaurant is closed on Wednesdays.  So we drove 45 minutes to a vegetarian restaurant up near Bard College, only to find that they, too, are now closed on Wednesdays (update your website, guys!) By now we were starving, which is why we ended up at some kind of jazz cafe where the beer taps were broken and the server forgot our appetizer even though we were the only people there. 

Sometimes you just have to laugh.  If there's one benefit of living in the sticks, it's that I've been more and more inspired to cook at home because a lot of restaurants around here are not worth it!  I was just happy to have Tony and the babies to celebrate with. I know it's cheesy but they are my real presents. 


I made up for last night's wild goose chase by cooking up a nice pot of lentil soup today.  Most lentil soup recipes that I come across are Indian-inspired, with a curry flavor.  That's cool, but this French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme from Veganomicon is a little different. The tarragon gives it a licoricey, almost minty flavor that is so unique and always makes me go back for seconds.


And I didn't have to leave the house.

Fun news -- I'm going to start testing recipes for Dynise the Urban Vegan's new cookbook. I hope to start posting some pics in the next week or so.  I've never done recipe testing before, so I'm pretty pumped.  I love her first cookbook and I know these new recipes will be awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment