Thursday, December 2, 2010

Kale Potato Soup

Almost every vegan cookbook offers a variation on this recipe. I couldn't choose among them, so I created my own. Frying up some seitan sausage or chorizo to crumble on top really brings it all together.

Kale Potato Soup
1 tsp. olive oil
3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2" cubes
6 cups kale, cleaned and chopped
1 cup chickpeas (or throw in the whole can, it doesn't really matter)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano

In your soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium and saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook 30 more seconds. Add the potatoes, chickpeas, stock, thyme and oregano. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the kale and simmer 15 more minutes. Crumble in your favorite seitan sausage and serve.


3 comments:

  1. I love how simple your soup is (I know I say this all the time, but on weekdays, recipes with short ingredient lists and instructions are the best) - and it looks really good, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like one of my ideal combinations. I so want to make this one soon.

    ReplyDelete