Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010, Thanks For Not Sucking

I've found that I enjoy reading the year-end roundups on other blogs, so I decided to put together my own. Hope you enjoy my reminiscing.

In January, I was 7 months pregnant. 


Jackson was such a little guy, but already helping in the kitchen.


We got new couches. If you knew how much time we spend lazing on these couches, you would understand why this deserves mention in my recap. It was truly a glorious day when this behemoth took its rightful place in our living room.


That's about it for January...did I mention I was 7 months pregnant?

In February, Jackson enjoyed his last days as an only child. We wondered if the transition was going to be hard on our little Leo, who adores being the center of attention.


Jackson also experienced his first snowfall!



In March, Olivia was born!


Jackson met her and gave his approval.


My mom came to stay with us for the month.


Saying hi.



March is also the time when I decided to eliminate dairy and eggs from my longtime vegetarian diet and strive to eat a healthy, vegan diet.

In April, we found out Olivia had been born with a dislocated hip, and would have to wear a harness for several weeks to correct it. She took it like a trooper.


She also started smiling.


She couldn't wear skirts or pants with the harness, so our little fashionista accumulated a whole collection of baby legwarmers.


Jackson seemed to enjoy having this new little creature around, most of the time. He filled her in on the secrets of getting Mommy and Daddy to do your bidding.


In May, the weather was finally nice enough to take the little ones out of the house frequently. We tried out the hiking trails at Locust Grove.



We crossed the Walkway over the Hudson.


Tony took Jackson to see some bikes at Orange County Choppers.


Next, June...June was a great month! Olivia's personality really came out. Best of all, she got the all-clear to stop wearing her hip harness. She immediately began rolling over and trying to sit up!


We checked out the giant outdoor sculptures at Storm King.



We spent a lot of time at the playground.


We visited the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary.



Tony and I celebrated our 8-year wedding anniversary.


AND, we went to Boston and Cape Cod on vacation.  Cape Cod was completely boring, I'll be honest, but Boston was so much fun.  However, I don't have any pics, because both my camera and cell phone got ruined my first evening in Boston due to spilled beverages. Woops!  Luckily, I was able to replace both of them used, without spending a ton.  I need to go back for another visit in 2011, and take some pictures this time! 

In July, my parents came to visit.


One day, they watched the kids so Tony and I could go to the city by ourselves. Alone! Without babies! 



Olivia (reluctantly) started eating solids.


We finally sold our old home in Austin. This was bittersweet, since it made our leaving Austin seem all the more final, when we hadn't wanted to leave in the first place. But it was also a huge relief that we avoided getting foreclosed and no longer had that worry hanging over us.


And also in July...I started this blog!

In August, I got my wisdom teeth out. Fortunately, I have no self-portraits from this time to scare you with.

Jackson turned two. 




We took him to see Yo Gabba Gabba live.



In September, Olivia was six months old.  She learned to sit up.


Jackson became quite the artist with the paints he received for his birthday..


We visited the Brooklyn Museum to give him some inspiration.


It started to feel like fall, and we went apple picking.


In October, we went to Detroit for my brother Sean's wedding.




No autumn trip to Michigan is complete without a visit to the cider mill.



No sooner had we got back from Michigan, than it was time to leave for our vacation in Montreal. We loved this beautiful old city.



And of course, we celebrated Halloween. We carved pumpkins, and Jackson and Olivia went trick-or-treating for the first time.





In November, it really started to get chilly, but we still had a few nice days.


We visited friends in New Jersey.



At Thanksgiving, Grandma Lillie came to visit from Oklahoma.


And finally, it was December.  We went to the city to see the big Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.



It was so much fun to watch the kids open their presents on Christmas morning.





So that's 2010.

Oh wait...I think I also found time somewhere in there to cook some pretty good food!














All right, 2011, you have a lot to live up to. You are doing OK so far, keep it up!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I loved reading about your event-filled year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this amazing recap! Thank you so much for sharing. What a fun year you had, so full of blessings! Oh, and good food, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome post! Congrats on everything awesome that happened in 2010 including your birth and anniversary :) I love that sign your husband is holding up, hahahaha! I hope 2011 is just as blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, That was an amazing recap! I wish I had kept all my blog pics, but like a ding dong I erased them as I went..I haven't popped over in a long time and I see you are still one of my favorite blogs to read, keep doing what you do! Your children are lovely and your food is yummy to look at!
    Hugs, Viv~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great year all in all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great year! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice recap. It is fun to see your family grow. Our eldest is a boy and youngest is a girl too. Ours are a little older, but seeing your year reminded me a lot of our's too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete