Monday, January 3, 2011

Urban Vegan Tester #6 - Clementine-Sweet Potato Halwah

I was always a big fan of the carrot halwah dessert that is served at Indian restaurants.  So much so, in fact, that I've made vegan halwah at home a few times.  My version was cooked on the stovetop, which required constant, careful attention and stirring.  That's not easy to do when you're watching two little ones.  So when I saw that this sweet potato halwah from the Urban Vegan was baked in the oven, I was happy to give it a try.  Indeed, it was much easier than my stovetop method.


This halwah's sweetness comes, in part, from the zest and juice of clementines, which are similar to mandarin oranges. Around here, you see them in supermarkets around Christmastime, so the timing of this tester recipe was perfect. Look how little and cute they are. Their juice is not like regular orange juice. It's super sweet!

1 comment:

  1. That's a novel and much simpler approach to halwah! Looks very inviting...got to try it sometime :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete