Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 3: Supplemental Superfoods



I recently treated myself to an Amazon order of superfoods. (I just learned today that, in the UK, it is illegal to label foods as "superfoods" because it encourages artificially high prices at the market. But in the US, I guess we'll superfood all day long.) Some of these supplements, like the cacao nibs and maca powder, I try to keep on hand. Others, like the dried dragon fruit and mesquite powder, were first-time purchases.


I've ordered from Navitas Naturals before, but Terrasoul was new to me. I was impressed by their prices.


I stirred maca and mesquite into my breakfast oats, and topped them with cacao nibs and bee pollen (I know there's a debate over whether pollen is considered vegan, so I apologize in advance for this questionable ingredient. For what it's worth, I consider it more of an allergy medicine than a food.)  Terrasoul's cacao nibs are quite bitter and have an almost sulfuric aftertaste. I have only bought them from Navitas in the past and I believe they coat theirs in a sweetener, so that's what I was expecting. I guess the Terrasoul nibs have a more authentic cacao flavor, but wow, it will take some getting used to!


Super basic dinner tonight -- spaghetti with Costco marinara, giant green olives, and faux parmesan (ground almonds + nutritional yeast.)


Olivia is working on her letters. She recognizes about half of them at this point. 


Hope you are having a great week!


5 comments:

  1. H-E-B carries the Navitas line, FYI. Might be cheaper than ordering online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only recently tried out all these superfoods except for mesquite. totally loving the cacao nibs, I made some Cacao Muesli and am enjoying it for breakfast, makes me feel both naughty and good at the same time. Bee pollen is appearing every where here, but I haven't been tempted yet to try it, not quite sure about it to be honest. Olivia looks really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cacao muesli sounds fab! I usually sprinkle some cacao nibs on my oats in the morning. A little sweet to start the day.

      Delete
  3. I"m not a big superfood person, and yet I still have mesquite and maca and cocoanibs all in my cupboards! I guess I am just a vegan hippie! That said, I don't use them all that often. adding them to oatmeal is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete