Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 2: Kindergarten



Kindergarten today is more intense than when I was a kid. Jackson had homework before school started. He had to make an "About Me" poster to show and tell the class. He drew himself as a fire-breathing lion riding a motorcycle.


We also had to make a name tag for his cubby.


His campus is nut-free, so I made a trip to Natural Grocer to pick up some sun butter. Sriracha chips magically found their way into my basket, too.


Finally the first day arrived. I was nervous. I wasn't sure if I was ready to send my little guy away from me for seven hours each day. That's practically a full-time job! But nerves are contagious, and I didn't want Jackson to worry. He'd really been taking it all in stride up to this crucial point. So I masked my uncertainty with enthusiasm and sent him off with a big hug and the hopes that his first day would be totally awesome.


Then it was just me and a somewhat delirious Olivia. Waking up at 6:30...oh man. It's an adjustment.


The day seemed very long. Finally it was time to go pick up brother. As we walked up to the school, we encountered the other kindergarten parents waiting anxiously to see how their kiddos did. As soon as Jackson spotted Olivia and me, he said goodbye to his teacher and ran over. "So, how was kindergarten?" I asked him. He paused and said, "Well, it was...pretty awesome!" He was happy that he got to draw pictures of snakes during science class, and he got to see his pre-K friends, Maeve and Alex, at recess. 


Right after we got home, a sudden downpour began. It was as though the clouds sensed my relief. The kids eagerly stripped down and ran outside to play. And just like that, I have a kindergartener.


For dinner I made Pastitsio from the Urban Vegan cookbook.


Kind of like a lasagna, except made with ziti, and the tomato sauce has hints of cinnamon and allspice. Tasted lovely and plenty of leftovers.






6 comments:

  1. My li'l one started kindergarten this year too! And, same deal, an "about me" poster. Homework every night so far, but I don't mind because it makes me feel like a genius when I help her with it. When she gets in high school and starts bringing Algebra home... forget it. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL neither me or my husband can do math...we'll need a tutor!

      Delete
  2. I've had that pastitsio bookmarked forever! I'm going to have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, and I don't use OMG that often - Sriracha Kettle Chips, when are you coming the the U.K, thank you for sharing this truly, I really want to try them (smacking my lips).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to think how many years ago since my little girl started in reception class ( it's 27, but don't tell anyone, right?) I still remember the sense of loss - my companion was gone for hours at a time - but she thrived, and sharing her adventures was magical. Enjoy the journey:)

    ReplyDelete