Monday, September 22, 2014

Vegan MoFo Day 16: 52 Cloves (or Thereabouts)


This morning Olivia and I popped into Whole Foods to pick up a few treats. I was craving a yerba mate. I love the mint flavor. Olivia chose Brad's Raw Broccoli Poppers. Similar to kale chips, but broccoli! We quickly finished off the bag together. Olivia also got a free orange. At our Whole Foods there's a little wagon full of fruits by the cash registers, and kids can pick out a free piece of fruit each visit.


We stopped by the outdoor play area so Olivia could do some climbing.


When we got home, I tossed three heads of garlic in the oven to roast. This is always a wonderful sight because I know that in a few minutes, the whole house will start to smell amazing.


Can you believe that wasn't all the garlic that went into 52 Cloves Red Lentil Soup? The recipe calls for five heads total. Three are roasted, two are sauteed. I didn't get an exact count for my cloves as I was peeling and chopping them, but suffice to say, my hands will be smelling like garlic for days. (I don't really mind.) Besides garlic, it also contains other healing ingredients like ginger and turmeric. Goodbye, back-to-school sniffles!!



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a TON of garlic! You probably won't get sick all winter. And I thought Isa's Chickpea and Broccoli dish had a lot! The recipe sounds fantastic. Very cool about the free fruit wagon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that chickpea and broccoli dish -- thanks for mentioning it, I'll have to make it soon!

      Delete