Tuesday, February 12, 2013

King Cake

Happy Mardi Gras! We celebrated Fat Tuesday by making a king cake. I left out the plastic baby -- too much of a choking hazard for my little ones. I guess that means I'll be making the king cake next year, too. Fine by me. It was fun to make.
 
 
I used the recipe from Quick and Easy Vegan Celebrations. I substituted spelt flour because I didn't have any all-purpose flour. The spelt flour lent a rustic, "health foody" flavor that seemed at odds with the rich cream cheese filling and sugary multi-colored icing. It still tasted good, but next time I will make sure I use white flour. Mardi Gras is no time to cut corners. Here's a close-up of the swirled interior.

 
If you don't celebrate Mardi Gras, then happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful king cake!! I've always wanted to make one but never have. Enjoy Mardi Gras!!! In a perfect world I'd be celebrating with a giant margarita... instead I'll be at the gym, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to just try one as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete