Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter 2015

Happy Easter! We are all about the candy on Easter. I don't even try to make the kids ration it, like on Halloween. Our neighborhood had its own egg hunt and Jackson and Olivia showed up hungry.


Go!


Post-candy silliness!


For our Easter lunch with my parents, I made a couple of my favorite salads, Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad and Lemony Wheat Berries with Roasted Brussels Sprouts. I also made plenty of roasted asparagus because the kids and I all adore it and I feel like you need asparagus at any spring feast.


In addition to the ham, deviled eggs, and baked beans for the omnis, Tony made two kinds of vegan potato salad. One had horseradish and dill, and the other had mustard and pickles. Both were awesome. He makes great potato salad.


I'm getting away from the idea of needing to have a "meat substitute" as the core of my holiday meals. I could make a Tofurkey but I will be the only one eating it, and I'm not that into faux meats anyway. I was perfectly satisfied with my meal even though I didn't prepare any seitan, tempeh, or tofu, and I got plenty of protein from the chickpeas and wheatberries.


For dessert, I made the coconut cream pie from Vegan Pie in the Sky. I attempted to make Rad Whip, the PPK version of homemade vegan whipped cream, but I had some issues with it. It never did get super creamy or fluffy, as you can see. I may not have blended my cashews long enough. I don't have a Vitamix so it is hard to get the graininess to completely go away. I also used flax milk instead of almond milk, which may not have been as creamy. I will definitely give it another shot!


I think the pie ended up looking fine, and it tasted great. I especially loved the crust made with vegan nilla wafers.


After lunch, the kids wiled away a rainy afternoon with their new bubble blasters, gifts from my parents.


Hope you had a fun Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment