Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy 2013!

Happy New Year!

We had a very tame New Year's Eve, hanging out with the kids. I tried out some recipes from The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of Europe, which I received for Christmas. So far, I am really enjoying this cookbook.

For an appetizer, I made "EscarNo," a vegan take on the classic French escargot, which features snails. I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat snails, vegan or no. Mushrooms are substituted in this recipe, filled with diced shallots and sauteed in a rich, buttery wine sauce. They tasted like super-decadent stuffed mushrooms.



I also made Creamy Chickpea Soup, or revithia as it's known in Greece. I like how half the chickpeas are pureed, and half are left whole. It gives the soup a nice texture. I like my soups to have big flavor and this one certainly delivered, kicked up with plenty of lemon juice and balsamic.


Well, I don't do resolutions, so I'll leave you with some pictures of my New Year's makeover, courtesy of Jackson and Olivia. Jackson said I looked "like an angel." I personally would substitute "juggalo" for "angel" in that description, but you know what they say -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The make-up artists.


This color will really highlight mommy's cheekbones undereye circles.


"Hold still and let me get this lipstick juuuuust right."


"Mommy so pretty!"



2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that makeover is fantastic. You are very brave! An angel! Hahah.
    Anyway the escar-no sound really delicious! High class stuff in this post. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read that this is how Max Factor got started.

    ReplyDelete