Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I Scream for...Frozen Yogurt

With an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket, I treated myself to a post-Christmas present in my favorite color. Nope, not a new sweater.
 


I've wanted an ice cream maker for years, it seems. During an Austin summer, I could eat ice cream every day. This summer, maybe I will.

I tested out the machine by making a batch of blueberry cheesecake frozen yogurt. I used soy yogurt, vegan cream cheese, vanilla, and stevia. During the last few minutes, I stirred in a ton of blueberries and a handful of oats (the "crust" of my imaginary cheesecake.)

 
I don't want to post a recipe yet because this was just a test. The result was tasty, creamy soft-serve. It was totally fine for a first attempt. The only issue was that we didn't eat it all (crazy, I know), and when I put the leftover fro-yo in the freezer, it froze into a solid block. I'm not sure what ingredient store-bought ice creams contain to keep it from freezing like that, but I'd like to figure it out and make a recipe that's more freezer-stable, so you don't have to eat the whole batch in one sitting. I just ordered a book called The Vegan Scoop, so hopefully that will help.


No comments:

Post a Comment