Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: Go Max Go Candy Bars

Recently I had the good fortune to receive a sampling of vegan candy bars from Go Max Go Foods. I got the four original flavors (Mahalo, Jokerz, Twilight, Buccaneer) and two new flavors (Snap, Cleo's). In addition to being vegan, the bars are all free of trans fats, cholesterol, and artificial ingredients. The bars are made with wholesome sweeteners like rice syrup and agave syrup, and their luscious chocolatey coatings are made from rice milk. Sweet!

 
Being a coconut lover, I first tore into the Mahalo.



The Mahalo, with its adorable tiki wrapper, is similar to an Almond Joy -- sweet coconut and whole, roasted almonds, covered in a nice thick layer of chocolate.

I do have to say, the fact that one Mahalo contains 80% of your daily saturated fat quota was a little off-putting. But, on a healthy vegan diet, you're probably not consuming a ton of saturated fat from other sources. So this is my last mention of nutrition for the rest of this post, because hello, these are candy bars. We know they're not totally good for us. But they are delicious. Moderation! And anyway, the other candy bar varieties are lower in saturated fat.


Next, the Jokerz. I'd call this the vegan equivalent of a Snickers. Nougat, peanut, and caramel, enrobed in chocolate. The caramel has such a rich, buttery flavor. Pretty fantastic.



The chocolate coating wasn't quite as thick as what you get with a Snickers, but really, that is just a minor nitpick. The obvious advantage is that the Jokerz is vegan and the Snickers isn't.

Third, the Twilight. I'd say this is the Go Max Go version of the Milky Way -- chocolate nougat and caramel dipped in chocolate. Again, I loved the buttery richness of the caramel.



Next up, the last of the original flavors -- the Buccaneer. It's simply chocolate nougat covered in chocolate. Kinda like a Three Muskateers, but the nougat layer is denser and, in my opionion, better.



Next up, the first of the two new flavors - Snap! is crisped rice and chocolate. It's reminiscent of a Nestle Crunch. This was my personal favorite -- gotta love that crunchy texture.





Last but not least, Cleo's Peanut Butter Cups. How do these stack up to Reese's? Well, the peanut butter filling is smoother, creamier. To me, Reese's filling is a little salty. Cleo's filling, on the other hand, is quite sweet. The chocolate coating is nice and thick. I love the cute Egyptian-themed packaging, too.



A big thank you to Go Max Go Foods for letting me try out each of their scrumptious candy bars!

5 comments:

  1. OMG! Every one of those candy bars looks amazing! Can I find them at a Whole Foods????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa lucky you getting to try all of these yummy treats! Thanks for the reviews! I want to eat them all now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kewl. I've been paying for my Go Max Go Candy Bars for years. They taste damned good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @thevegantummy, yes, i just noticed them at my whole foods the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try these! Looking at the pictures you posted makes me want to go buy a few right this minute :)

    -A fellow vegan Austinite

    ReplyDelete