Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chimichurri Baked Tofu

When I'm buying fruit, bananas and apples are the staples, since they are Jackson and Olivia's favorites. But I also buy whatever fruits are on sale each week, for variety.  This week it was cherries.  This morning I made oats with cherries, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and a dollop of coconut butter. So good.  The kids ate the rest of the cherries within a few hours of me returning from the supermarket. Guess I'll have to pick up some more!


We had an amazing dinner -- Chimichurri Baked Tofu from Viva Vegan, served with brown rice and sauteed chard. That chimichurri sauce is some good stuff.


Chimichurri is a sauce of Argentinian origin, traditionally used for basting grilled meats. It's made from parsley, red wine vinegar, garlic, crushed red pepper, smoked paprika, and other good stuff. It's just bursting with flavor and it really soaks into the tofu, greens, and rice. I've had the recipe bookmarked for as long as I've owned Viva Vegan, and I'm so glad I finally got around to trying it. Now I want to eat chimichurri on everything!

One of my goals for 2012 was to start doing "school" every day with the kids for at least 15 minutes. We sit at the table and look at flashcards or play educational games. Today I showed Jackson how to play Chutes and Ladders, while Olivia worked on a puzzle. I remembered playing this board game with my dad when I was little. What I didn't remember is that one game can go on forever! We kept landing on the "chutes" and having to start over at the bottom, haha. Oh well...at least we practiced a lot of counting!

1 comment:

  1. That oatmeal looks like such a treat! Yum! That's great that you had cherries on sale! It is funny because I was at the grocery store this morning and checked the cherries out of curiosity and they were $9!!! That is crazy! Your tofu looks delicious as well :)

    ReplyDelete