Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Time for Chili

I love a warm, comforting bowl of chili, even in the summertime. But I am allergic to beans. How can I love chili, then? Here is the answer! (This recipe is adapted from the 3 Bean Veggie Chili recipe in Cooking With the Dead, an adorable little hippie cookbook that I bought in high school when I was first learning to cook.)

Lentil TVP Chili (serves 6-8)
2 tsp. olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
1 1/2 cups brown lentils, uncooked
1 cup TVP, uncooked
6 cups vegetable broth
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a soup pot over medium heat, saute the onions until translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients and give it a good stir to break up the tomato paste. Turn the heat to high and bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until it looks like it's getting a little dry.

At this point, add 4 cups water and give it another good stir. This is a good time to taste your chili and add additional spices, to your liking. Let it simmer for another 30 minutes or more, and serve.



What to do with leftover chili? How about some chili mac & cheese fries! I wish I could take credit for this awesomely trashy concoction, but it was the special a few days ago at my source for veggie hot dogs, Soul Dog. Their veggie chili contains beans, which makes it off-limits to me. So I had to make my own version of this ultimate comfort food. All that's needed is your favorite mac & cheese recipe (I like The 30 Minute Vegan’s), and some oven fries. Layer it with leftover chili and dig in!



No comments:

Post a Comment