Saturday, August 14, 2010

Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes

I’m chewing again! Hooray! 48 hours after getting my wisdom teeth out, I can eat solid foods that are on the mushy side. That’s something, anyway.

My temporary liquid diet did provide the perfect opportunity to try the Nutiva HempShake I picked up on my last trip to Whole Foods. I blended it up with some soymilk and a frozen banana. It tasted fine. It wasn’t super chocolatey; I could definitely tell it was a “healthy” shake rather than a decadent chocolate milkshake. I’ve never tasted hemp seeds but I’m imagining they taste somewhat like pine nuts? Because that’s what I got from this shake. Mostly, I was impressed that it provided 7 grams of protein and nearly half of my daily fiber. It gave me a boost of energy after a day of subsisting on popsicles and ice cream (not that I was complaining about eating ice cream for breakfast.)



When I woke up this morning, I needed some REAL food. What I wanted was Indian buffet…but what my mouth could handle was something along the textural lines of baby food. The compromise: samosa mashed potato pancakes from Vegan Brunch! I’ve made these many times and I love the depth of flavor that all the Indian spices bring to the table. To me, that is the number one sign of a memorable recipe that should be made again and again – when you take that first bite and the flavor is so powerful and complex, you have to go back for more.



Today my boys are having a birthday outing to the city (Tony’s birthday was last week and Jackson turns two in a couple weeks), while I am going to enjoy some peaceful one-on-one time with my Miss Olivia. I hope you all are having a fun, relaxing weekend!

P.S., Robin Robertson is giving away not one but two copies of Vegan on the Cheap. Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try that Hemp Shake mix. I have so many frozen bananas to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samosa mashed potatoes? Sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do use the flavored (berry) hemp powder for our smoothies, and yeah, it's not too tasty to me. I wish that it would just mix with your smoothie in a delicious way so I could use more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking out my blog! These samosa mashed taters look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete