Saturday, August 14, 2010

Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes

I’m chewing again! Hooray! 48 hours after getting my wisdom teeth out, I can eat solid foods that are on the mushy side. That’s something, anyway.

My temporary liquid diet did provide the perfect opportunity to try the Nutiva HempShake I picked up on my last trip to Whole Foods. I blended it up with some soymilk and a frozen banana. It tasted fine. It wasn’t super chocolatey; I could definitely tell it was a “healthy” shake rather than a decadent chocolate milkshake. I’ve never tasted hemp seeds but I’m imagining they taste somewhat like pine nuts? Because that’s what I got from this shake. Mostly, I was impressed that it provided 7 grams of protein and nearly half of my daily fiber. It gave me a boost of energy after a day of subsisting on popsicles and ice cream (not that I was complaining about eating ice cream for breakfast.)



When I woke up this morning, I needed some REAL food. What I wanted was Indian buffet…but what my mouth could handle was something along the textural lines of baby food. The compromise: samosa mashed potato pancakes from Vegan Brunch! I’ve made these many times and I love the depth of flavor that all the Indian spices bring to the table. To me, that is the number one sign of a memorable recipe that should be made again and again – when you take that first bite and the flavor is so powerful and complex, you have to go back for more.



Today my boys are having a birthday outing to the city (Tony’s birthday was last week and Jackson turns two in a couple weeks), while I am going to enjoy some peaceful one-on-one time with my Miss Olivia. I hope you all are having a fun, relaxing weekend!

P.S., Robin Robertson is giving away not one but two copies of Vegan on the Cheap. Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try that Hemp Shake mix. I have so many frozen bananas to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do use the flavored (berry) hemp powder for our smoothies, and yeah, it's not too tasty to me. I wish that it would just mix with your smoothie in a delicious way so I could use more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out my blog! These samosa mashed taters look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete