Monday, September 9, 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 7: Cheese and Onion Enchiladas


Last month we vacationed in New Mexico. It was my first time visiting the state and I fell in love with the mountains, the Pueblo Revival architecture, and of course the food -- especially enchiladas topped with red or green chile sauce (or both, which they call "Christmas.") Lucky for me, fresh chiles from Hatch, NM find their way to Austin every summer, and the canned varieties are available year-round. I was able to find four different kinds of Hatch enchilada sauce at my local supermarket (actually, there were more than that, but some were not vegan.)


I decided to try the "Tex-Mex style" sauce first. Olivia helped me prepare the filling. I doubled this cashew cheese recipe and mixed it with one finely chopped, sauteed yellow onion.


I filled twelve corn tortillas, poured the sauce over them, and sprinkled plenty of black olives on top. Baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  


So good! Can't wait to try the other sauces and see which is our favorite.






No comments:

Post a Comment