Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chickpea "Refried Beans"

Happy Cinco de Mayo! How are you celebrating Mexico's victory over the French? This evening we might take the kids to a festival happening downtown, we'll see. Tony is still getting up to speed at his new job, so sometimes he has to stay late.

It appears to be turning into Recipe Week here at Busy Vegan Mama. First we had pho and cinnamon blondies, and today I have another recipe to share. But first, a little background.

Do you like bean burritos? Nachos with refried beans? Who doesn't? Me, until now. I'm allergic to beans. Taking a bite of the luscious, creamy frijoles refritos that are always served alongside veggie enchiladas would mean hours of regret. My throat closes up and I feel like I can't swallow, and my nose runs and my eyes water like crazy. Fun times.

Fortunately my body tolerates other types of legumes...like the wondrous chickpea. What can't chickpeas do? They can make a killer refried bean substitute, for one thing.  

Chickpea "Refried Beans"
1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley or cilantro
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
up to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional, if not serving to kids)

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until creamy and smooth. Microwave for 40 seconds, just to warm it up a little. Serve as a dip, as a side with Mexican food, atop nachos, rolled up in burritos, or any other way you typically eat refried beans!


I adapted this from the delicious Almost-Instant Chickpea-Tomato Soup in Vegan on the Cheap, because every time I make it, I think, "This kinda tastes like refried beans!" If you have no problem with beans, you still might like my chickpea version. Just think of it as Cinco de Mayo hummus. Also, it's nearly fat-free, unlike traditional refritos. After my first bite, I was kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. Hope you enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I actually gasped in horror when I read that you can't eat re-fried beans. What a clever substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - what a great idea! I usually make my own refried beans with black beans or pinto beans but I never thought to try chickpeas. Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! Yet another use for the delicious chickpea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should try buying dry beans and cook them in crockpot. There is a chance for BPA lining in cans!!!! NOT GOOD!! It's way more healthier and cost effective!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited! I just had this idea myself as I am also allergic to beans, except for Chickpeas! I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these for lunch and my husband said it was the best bean dip he has ever had! Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this and I'll admit I was a little skeptical considering the chickpeas, but this was soooooooo tasty OMG, I could literally eat it by itself(I did a little bit) so good. Differences: Used Roasted garlic pasta sauce, still added a dash of garlic powder, and I cooked my own Chickpeas because I don't use canned goods, not sure if that makes a huge difference, but this was better than regular refried beans, so good (did I say that already) Any who, thank you so much for the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete