Monday, August 13, 2012

Super Saturday

Most mornings, I get up before my kids and quickly eat my little bowl of cereal in peace. I say quickly because I only ever get ten or fifteen minutes to myself, before Jackson or Olivia wanders downstairs asking for milk, gummy vitamins, and cereal of their own.  Now that Jackson has outgrown his daily naps, I treasure those short moments of early morning quiet even more.

But some mornings, I wake up inspired to go into the kitchen and cook up a big mess o' food for my family. Saturday was one of those days. I started with a tofu scramble with broccoli, carrot, onion and red pepper thrown in.


I also made blueberry pancakes, with half whole wheat pastry flour and half spelt flour. I love blueberry pancakes!


I also roasted some potatoes.


Jackson and Olivia brought their big appetites.

After fueling up with a good breakfast, we headed to the mall to buy the kids some new sneakers. Of course we had to stop for a turn on the carousel.



We stopped by the play area, too, for a rocket ride.

I had a coupon for Yankee Candle, so I picked up a few items. I always have some sort of candle or incense burning in my home.


When we got home, we only wanted a light dinner. We had garden tomatoes and basil with buffalo mozzarella on baguette slices. Our tomato plants are slowing their production. We are still getting a lot of cherry tomatoes, but not many big tomatoes.

Later, we stood in line at Casey's, the nondescript little shack that produces the wonderful shaved ice dessert known as the New Orleans snowball.

The kids chose banana flavor.


I went with something slightly more exotic -- orchid vanilla cream. The guy who made my snowball correctly informed me that it tastes like Lucky Charms. Yum!


How was your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice to have a breakfast out of the ordinary sometimes. I'm sure the kids were thrilled about it!

    The orchid vanilla cream sounds like something I'd get. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson & Olivia really have non-stop fun.

    ReplyDelete