Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Movie Day and a Quiz

Hey guys, just a quick post this morning. I'm taking Jackson and Olivia to their first movie in a short while. That's right, I am taking two toddlers to see an almost-two-hour film (Ponyo) in a theater full of other babies and toddlers, by myself. Only in hindsight will I know if this qualifies as an adventure or a poor life decision.

The Vietnamese sandwiches with dipping broth made another appearance on our table Sunday night. This is my favorite meal; I don't know why I don't make it every week. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the Veganomicon seitan cutlet recipe. The cutlets are baked, and then you thinly slice and saute them, resulting in a very firm, chewy, almost tough texture. Tony loved them from the start, and since I would much rather see him eating faux meat than real meat, I kept making them. Now they've totally won me over, too.


Last night I made the Edamame Pesto from Appetite for Reduction, using fresh basil from my garden. I can't say enough good things about this recipe, guys. High in protein, low in fat...and it's pesto, which I love. I am a basil fiend, haha. And it takes no time at all. By the time your pasta is done cooking, the sauce is ready to go. I served it with ziti and cherry tomatoes, also from my garden.



And now, a fun little quiz I swiped from the vegan collegian. I'd love to hear your answers to some of these.
A is for Apple: What’s your favorite variety? Pink Lady
B is for Bread: Regardless of nutrition, what is your favorite type? Rye and pumpernickel swirl - it makes the best BLT's, in my opinion
C is for Cereal: What is your favorite kind currently? (just one!) Peanut Butter Puffins. (The more peanut butter in my diet, the better.)
D is for Donuts: You might not currently eat them, but what kind do you fancy? I like cinnamon sugar donuts in the fall, with a glass of hot apple cider.
E is for Eggs: How would you like yours prepared? Tofu scramble :)
F is for Fat Free: What is your favorite fat free product? I don't buy anything specifically labeled fat free. So...fruit?
G is for Groceries: Where do you purchase yours? H-E-B usually. Whole Foods, Fiesta or Wheatsville if I need something they don't sell at H-E-B.
H: is for Hot Beverages: What is your favorite hot drink? Tea
I is for Ice Cream: Pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.  Mint chocolate chip with chocolate sauce
J is for Jams or Jellies: Do you eat them? If so, what kind and flavor? I like strawberry and cherry. Oh, and pumpkin butter in the fall.
K is for Kashi: Name your favorite Kashi product? I like several of their cereals, but they do contain honey.
L is for Lunch: What was yours today? Kale chips, apple, pita chips

M is for microwave: What is your favorite microwave meal/snack? Baked potato

N is for nutrients: Do you likes carbs, fats, or proteins best? Carbs. I need my pizza, pasta, potatoes, all that good stuff.
O is for oil: What kind do you like to use? Olive
P is for protein: How do you get yours? Nuts, tofu, soymilk, seitan...lots of things.
Q is for Quaker: How do you like your oats? With peanut butter, chocolate chips, and flax meal.
R is for roasting: What is your favorite thing to roast? Sweet potatoes
S is for sandwich: What’s your favorite kind? Vietnamese sandwich from Veganomicon. 2nd runner up: the BLT.
T is for travel: How do you handle eating while traveling? For vacations, I look up restaurants online while I am making the itinerary.  I love trying new restaurants. For road trips or visiting family, that is a little more difficult in terms of staying vegan. I stock up on Larabars and do my best.
U is for unique: What is one of your weirdest food combos? I like to smush my corn and mashed potatoes together. Not that weird, I guess.
V is for vitamins: What kind do you take? Multivitamin and B-12
W is for wasabi: Yay or nay? Love it.
X is XRAY: If we xrayed your belly right now, what food would we see? Just ate breakfast, so...cereal.

Y is for youth: What food reminds you of your childhood? Fast food :P
Z is for zucchini: How do you prepare it? Sauteed and tossed with pasta.

4 comments:

  1. I loved ponyo! I hope it works out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2-year-old nephew love Ponyo. But I think he only watches a few minutes at a time... Hope you survived the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun quiz..I might try it. The banh mi sound great, I've like to try those too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got Appetite for Reduction last week and I've already made one thing out of it and have this week's grocery list prepared to make another five or so. I LOVE that book! Everything's fairly quick and straight-forward and I'm sure (once I try them, lol) awesome-tasting. :)

    I've have to give that edamame pesto a try, since it's like, two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete