Friday, March 9, 2012

Plans, Schmans

What a crazy week it has turned out to be! On Wednesday, we were going to have a little birthday party for Olivia with our play group friends. Then, on Thursday, we were going to head up to Oklahoma for a long weekend, celebrating her birthday with our family. Fun! We were so looking forward to it.

But none of that happened because, on Tuesday, my throat started to hurt, and Jackson developed a cough. The next morning I had a fever and body aches, so I went to the doctor. As I feared, it turned out to be strep -- again! I just had it in January. The doctor said I may be a "carrier" and will have it a few times before it goes away for good. Sweet. Awesome. Thankfully, it was a much milder case this time around. I already feel a lot better. And Jackson's strep test came back negative, so we are just giving him honey and lemon and running the humidifier for his cough. He seems to be on the mend.

I was sad that we had to cancel Olivia's party -- I had to remind myself that she is only turning 2 and doesn't even really understand what a party is! Anyway, we might be able to reschedule it for next week or something.  And I was sad we couldn't go to Oklahoma as planned. But I was considered contagious until today, and I would feel terrible if I got any other family members sick. So it was best that we stayed home for now. 

Anyway, our meals haven't been too exciting. My appetite is fine, but there were a few nights that I didn't feel like being on my feet in the kitchen for very long.  One evening we had leftover shells with chickpea sauce. On the side, I served Mandiee's Maple Curry Roasted Cauliflower. The kids asked for seconds, and I loved the combination of sweet and spicy flavors. Plus, the maple syrup and curry powder made my kitchen smell amazing as the cauliflower was baking!


Another evening, I made the Caprese Sandwich from Celebrate Vegan, with a side of garlicky sauteed spinach. The sandwiches were OK. The raw tofu is marinated in olive oil and soy sauce, before being added to the sandwich along with tomato and basil. So the tofu does take on some flavor -- just not enough for my liking. It still tasted like I was eating raw tofu.

I was a tester for Celebrate Vegan, so I don't want this to seem like a dis of the cookbook in any way. There are a ton of awesome recipes in it. You can see my reviews of the things I made in these posts. And the caprese recipe is here if you want to try it yourself -- it may suit your taste better!


On the plus side, the Alexia frozen ciabatta rolls I used were pretty tasty. I typically buy fresh ciabatta from the supermarket bakery, but if I shop in the evening, they tend to be sold out. So it is nice to have an alternative in the freezer section.

The leftover rolls were devoured with hummus. There was a sweet sale on Cedar's hummus that I took advantage of.


Today I got out the dehydrator and made some kale chips, using my favorite recipe.


I love that my babies love kale chips! Yum!


Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no I'm so sorry that you and Jackson got sick and that Olivia's party had to be canceled. I'm glad that you weren't hit as hard this time and I hope that you and Jackson feel better soon!

    Those sandwiches look amazing and the kale chips look really great too! You are adding to my dehydrator envy :)

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm so sorry that you're dealing with strep! I've never had it, but just a sore throat is horrible, so I can't even imagine how awful it feels. I hope that everyone is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel guilty. It'll all be okay. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better.

    I just got a dehydrator. I really need to make some kale chips!

    ReplyDelete