Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Organic

Before I had kids, I always swore that when I did have kids, I would feed them nothing but the absolute best foods. Even though I didn't buy organic food for myself, there was something about the idea of harsh pesticides in tiny toddler bodies that kind of horrified me.

But by the time my babies arrived, I guess I had other things on my mind. Also, I had this idea that organic food was always so expensive.  As Jackson and Olivia started eating solid foods, the fruits and veggies I served them were not organic. They were healthy and thriving, so it didn't seem to matter.

However, I recently came across these lists of the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean Fifteen." I didn't know that some fruits and veggies have higher levels of pesticides than others. A lot of produce I buy often is on the Dirty Dozen list. That does not make me feel good.

So I think I'm going to start buying organic versions of the Dirty Dozen, at least. This week, I bought organic apples and spinach.


The spinach was a bit more expensive. (I'm glad I didn't want to buy strawberries, because they cost twice as much as the non-organic ones!) However, the organic apples actually cost two cents less than the non-organic.

And then, everything I get from my little backyard garden is organic. Right now the collard greens and kale are doing well, and we should have some carrots pretty soon. Unfortunately, that is all I got from my fall plantings. I am going to plant some new stuff for spring this weekend and try to keep my black thumb from killing everything.


Do you buy (or grow) organic fruits and veggies?

The warm temps are making me crave all things tropical and fruity! I didn't realize this until I got home from the store and sensed a theme. Tropical fruit gum...Jamaican ginger ale (so good with a squirt of lime)...



The theme extends to non-food items, as well. This Pacifica Tahitian Gardenia body butter cost twice as much as the Bath & Body Works stuff I usually use, but I think it's twice as good.


Dinner, however, was the opposite of tropical. I made Caldo Verde with Crumbled Tempeh from Appetite for Reduction, a soup so thick and hearty it would be perfect for a winter snowstorm. Instead of making the tempeh according to the recipe, I threw in some Turtle Island tempeh bacon that I needed to use up. It added an extra level of smoky, maple-y flavor to the already tasty soup.


King Jackson bids you a good evening!

1 comment:

  1. We buy pretty much all organic produce, and everything else we buy organic if it's available. It's kind of forced us to choose mostly seasonal produce when shopping, which is another bonus. Kudos to you for doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete