Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 2012

Happy Easter! We're having a lazy Easter, just hanging around the house. We don't go to church, so Easter for us is a day to relax and spend together as a family.

This morning, Jackson and Olivia received their baskets from the Easter bunny.


I found these cute masks in the dollar bins at Target. I mean, the Easter bunny found them.




For lunch, Tony made ham, baked beans and potato salad for himself and the kids. He makes a really good potato salad with Veganaise, onion, Creole mustard, and lots of chopped up pickles. Since I don't eat ham or baked beans, I made some cilantro hummus to go with my potato salad.


So my Easter lunch wasn't much to look at. I needed to save room for dessert.  I made a German chocolate cake using my mother-in-law's recipe. She makes it so good. Mine didn't turn out quite as good as hers, but it was not bad for a first attempt. The frosting is made from scratch and it is a cooked frosting, which I had never made before. It's so much better than the Betty Crocker stuff in a can!


Now that I've made it the traditional way, I'm going to try to come up with a healthier version that still tastes as delicious as the original. If I do, I will post the recipe here.

Later we went for a little walk and I had to take a picture of these white blossoms because they smelled so amazing. I'd be grateful if anyone can identify them for me. I'd love to grow some in my backyard and breathe in the scent while I'm sitting on my deck.


How are you spending your Easter, if you celebrate it?

3 comments:

  1. What a fun day! I'm sure Jackson and Olivia had a wonderful Easter :) All of the food looks so yummy! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! That potato salad sounds really good! I spent the day at home with my baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a lovely and mellow day as well. Took an afternoon walk by the river.

    ReplyDelete