Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sickly Vegan Mama

I'm sorry for the lack of updates -- we've all been unsuccessfully fighting off sickness. I blame it on Tony working at the hospital these past couple months. God knows what kind of germs he's bringing home from that place. Luckily that's almost over. The kids are finally recovered, now it's just me who has a lingering sore throat. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance in general, but I'm a huge baby about sore throats. I think it's because they interfere with my enjoyment of eating!

Anyway, I have been cooking -- nothing spectacular, but I don't think anyone comes to this blog looking for spectacular.

Spaghetti with Wheatballs


I made these faux meatballs a couple weeks ago , and they reheated nicely. A fast, basic dinner, but no complaints.

Red and White Cauliflower Bake


This recipe was courtesy of Vegan Yum Yum. There's a layer of seasoned tofu, then a layer of steamed cauliflower in cheesy sauce, followed by a layer of marinara, topped with breadcrumbs and baked. I'm not sure if I'll be adding it to the regular rotation, since it took about 45 minutes to prepare (plus baking time) and Jackson didn't care for it. I admit I wasn't really into it the first night, either. The next day I sprinkled it with red pepper flakes and it tasted delicious. I can't tell if the red pepper was the key, or if it's just one of those dishes that tastes better the next day.

Sweet Potato Succotash


Now, this recipe, from Vegan on the Cheap, I'll definitely be making again. I don't know how sweet potatoes, lima beans, corn and a few other simple ingredients can taste so awesome. I think the magical ingredient may be the allspice. I certainly never would've thought to add allspice to a veggie stew, but it definitely adds "a little something." And it, too, tasted even better the next day.

Hope y'all are staying healthy and having a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Sara, hope you're all fit and well now. It is awful when you can't enjoy your food - what a silly person it was that said food is simply fuel - must have been a meat-eater!

    It's interesting that many foods taste better the following day, isn't it? I wouldn't have thought of adding allspice to the dish, either, but sometimes "odd" spices do work - look at the mushroom pate I made the other day with nutmeg in - a spice I associate with rice pudding more than anything else!!!

    BTW What super zingy plates you have - it must cheer you up just to open your kitchen cupboard door:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you've been ill - I hope by now you're all feeling better. :)

    I have to say I'm very impressed that you've created such beautiful dishes even when ill. When I have a cold, all I manage to cook is some tea water. ;)

    Every time I visit your blog, I also tell myself I should really get the 'Vegan on the Cheap' - it sounds like there are so many awesome recipes in it!

    ReplyDelete