Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

Merry Christmas!
 
Just taking a quick break from lying in front of the fireplace like a sloth to post a few pics of today's feast.
 
Green bean casserole. No canned, condensed cream of mushroom soup here! The recipe is from Quick & Easy Vegan Celebrations and it's so good, I've already called dibs on the leftovers.
 
 
Roasted brussels sprouts, a Christmas tradition in our house. I love these little green guys.

 
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes. I'm slightly disappointed with this dish. I roasted a whole head of garlic, yet I can't really taste it in the potatoes. Next time...two heads!

 
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pecans. I knew I'd peeled and boiled too many sweet potatoes when I realized I didn't have a casserole dish large enough to bake them in. Luckily, I remembered my 14" deep dish pizza pan and it worked out.

 
My plate, below. In addition to the above dishes, I also made Oh She Glows' Pumpkin Garlic Knots, as I have for the past few years. There's not much Christmas-y about these rolls. I'd say they're more Thanksgiving-ish, since they contain pumpkin. But they're so delicious, who cares if they're nontraditional?

 
For dessert I made Tony's favorite, coconut cream pie. I'll admit, I used boxed pudding mix and a store-bought graham cracker crust. That's how Tony's mom makes it and that's how he likes it! It is pretty hard to turn down a slice.

 
I also made my first-ever tart, a cranberry-orange-walnut fruit tart. The recipe is from The Voluptuous Vegan, a cookbook I've had for ages but don't consult that often. I think I'm prejudiced against cookbooks that have recipes arranged into pre-planned menus. I don't know if that's the control freak in me saying, "I'll plan my own menus, thanks!" or what.  I'm trying to get over it. The success of this tart is helping in that endeavor. It's so festive-looking, and makes a nice end to a holiday meal without being overly sweet (because we have the coconut pie for that.)

 
What was on your Christmas menu?

No comments:

Post a Comment