Thursday, July 29, 2010

Muffins and more

I’ve never really been a muffin girl...if I crave something sweet, I’d rather go all out and eat a piece of cake. But, I had a bag of flax meal that I bought for some unknown reason, and I decided to put it to use in the form of the carrot raisin muffins from Comfort Food Vegan. I love carrot cake, and that’s basically what these muffins are, because they are so moist and cake-like. Very tasty!



Sadly, Jackson was not interested. With the terrible vision that runs in our family, doesn't he know he needs all the carrots he can get! Maybe if I put a little cream cheese frosting on the muffins next time? He is all about the condiments and toppings.

I’ve been eating them for breakfast and, in today’s case, lunch, along with some avocado-topped Mary’s Gone Crackers and steamed kale and chickpeas with Annie’s Goddess dressing. These products were new to me (the crackers and dressing -- I am all too familiar with avocado and kale). Jackson grabbed the crackers off the shelf on our last trip to the health food store. I guess he knows what he likes, because he has been eating them up. When I first tried them, I thought they were too dry to eat without dipping them in hummus or something. But they’ve grown on me, and now I find myself eating them straight out of the package. I bought the Herb flavor. I like the slight hint of rosemary that they have.

The Annie’s dressing was an impulse buy. I wanted something that would be good on kale, and boy, did I pick a winner. This tahini-based dressing LOVES a big plate of steamed kale. Now, it is rather high in fat, so I will have to try out Mama Pea’s lighter version, because I can feel myself becoming addicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment