Thursday, July 24, 2014

Detroit 2014: Day 5

The last day of our Detroit vacation arrived all too quickly! We were in no hurry to head back to sweltering Austin when Michigan was getting some lovely temperatures in the 70s. We took full advantage of the nice weather on our last day, heading down to the riverfront.


Jackson and Olivia's reaction whenever they encounter a splash pad is to run at top speed toward it.


I am really impressed by Detroit's riverwalk. The fountain makes it so inviting for kids, and the walking/biking path and lawn chairs make it a great place to spend the morning just hanging out and looking out across the water.


There's also a carousel!


Fittingly, all the animals are water creatures.


As we strolled along the path, I came across this tiny lending library. Love this idea!


After soaking in the perfect weather, we had lunch at Pegasus Taverna in Greektown. Real Greek food is hard to come by in Austin, so Tony wanted to experience it before we left. We started with saganaki, the flaming halloumi cheese dish. Jackson and Olivia are big fans of food that comes to your table on fire.


We also had skordalia, a potato and garlic dip that I will have to try to reproduce at home.


We also shared some roasted peppers before our entrees came.


I had the vegetable platter with green beans in tomato sauce, lemon potatoes, roast cauliflower, spanakopita, spinach rice pilaf, and peas. It was all so good. 


Finally, one last evening spent with Isabella. Jackson and Olivia were such good helpers. They constantly asked to hold and feed her.


We had a great visit, and I hope we will get to come back soon! I miss my sweet niece (and Sean and Melissa too, of course) already!


1 comment:

  1. Your niece resembles your other kids so much that at first I thought you had another baby and somehow I missed it! I just looked through all of your vacation photos. It's so fun to get away on an adventure.

    ReplyDelete