Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Try It Tuesday - Mustard Greens

Hey guys, I'm starting a new thing where I try one new-to-me fruit or vegetable per week. The genesis is that I live in close proximity to Asian, Mexican, and Indian markets and I often wander the aisles, wondering to myself, "How do you cook that?" It's time to find out!

This week, I begin with mustard greens.

Mustard greens can be cooked in any of the ways you would cook kale or collard greens.  I thought this recipe sounded good.


Great results! Such a quick, simple, yet totally delicious way to cook greens. Who doesn't have a can of diced tomatoes hanging out in their cabinets? I served it over brown basmati rice. To me, the mustard greens tasted a lot like spinach. Yum!

I also made the Potato-Edamame Samosas with Coconut-Mint Chutney from Vegan with a Vengeance.  This recipe took ages to make, but I think I was zoning out and it shouldn't normally take that long. Do you ever find yourself moving in slow motion in the kitchen and realize you are taking for evvvverrrr to finish cooking?


I added a bunch of extra lime juice to the coconut-mint chutney to suit my taste. The samosas also paired well with my lemon-date chutney.


It was one of those perfect meals that leaves you feeling absolutely content.

Have you tried any new foods lately? Whether the experience was good or bad, I'd love to hear about it.



8 comments:

  1. I have never tried the mustard greens, but I have often considered it. Lately I haven't tried anything new. I really sure. Love this post idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I've made those samosas several times (they're a huge hit at potlucks!). They do seem to take longer than I think they should, though. I blame that, however, on the two small children here who like to "help" me in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, kimberly, my "helpers" usually guarantee a slower pace in the kitchen, too. but this time they were upstairs helping daddy put a bed together. i think i just had the morning zombie brain fog going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so identify with your slow-motion cooking! My trouble is following a train of thought. I find myself reading the same instructions over and over again. A sous chef would definitely help! Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good about trying new things and broadening yr family's horizons! I've never paid much attention to mustard greens but I do know a girl who hated them after working to farm them for months, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, Trying a new food a week is a great idea! I hope you plan to post about each one. I've begun adding dandelion greens to all my salads and it's wonderful. I've got a post about it coming up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all of these dishes.

    My mother makes a wicked mustard greens saag. I love your addition of edamame in the samosa. I will have to keep that in mind for the next time I attempt to maks some at home. I find making samosas at home v. therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried those samosas but they look and sound delish.
    I love your idea about trying something new on Tuesday's. Especially if youre surrounded by great places to find nonstandard veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete