Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Broccoli Flowers

One of the many things I love about Jackson's school is the fact that the kids maintain a garden and sell the vegetables at a weekly after-school farmer's market. Sometimes parents bring in items from their home gardens as well, so there is always something interesting to sample. This week it was broccoli flowers.


I did not know broccoli plants produced flowers, and I certainly didn't know said flowers were edible. They have a very clean, green flavor, not really like broccoli. More like asparagus maybe? The yellow flowers would be pretty atop a salad. My kids, however, ate them right off the stem.


For dinner I made our favorite pasta salad, the Garden Rotini and Chickpea Salad with Goddess Dressing from Vegan on the Cheap. I always make it when we attend a potluck, but Tony said I should make it at home too, so he can eat more of it. Ha! I also made a batch of kale chips in the oven. I sold my dehydrator while ago because I think they turn out just fine in the oven.


My Little Pony steel cage match. Two ponies enter, one pony leaves!


No comments:

Post a Comment